The main Lithuanian institutions shaping and implementing migration policy are as follows:
- Ministry of the Interior is the main institution responsible for formation and supervision of implementation of migration policy.
- Migration Department is the main central institution implementing state policy in the area of migration (with the exeption of economic migration).
- Migration Services are the main territorial institutions dealing with the issuance of residence permits and control the legal stay of foreigners in the country.
- State Border Guard Service protects the state border and exercises control of illegal immigration.
- Foreigners' Registration Center is an institution which houses detained foreigners and provides accommodation for asylum seekers.
- Refugees Reception Center in an institution which provides accommodation for migrants who have been granted asylum in Lithuanian and for unaccompanied minors.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs participates in the formation and implementation of visa policy. Lithuanian diplomatic mission and consular posts issue visas, receive documents for issuance of residence permits, legalise documents.
- Ministry of Social Security and Labour shapes labour market policy and Lithuanian Employment Service issues work permits for foreigners.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of the Interior
State Borders Guard Service
Border Control Points
Ministry of Social Security and Labour
Lithuanian Employment Service
Refugees Reception Center
Migration issues are also addressed by non-governmental organizations. The following NGOs are among the most active ones in Lithuania:
- Internation Organization for Migration (IOM) Vilnius office implements programmes for informationand consultation of migrants, assistance to migrants in voluntarily returning to the countries of origin, conducts research on the issues of migration. IOM Vilnius office also performs functions ot LT EMN NCP.
- Migration information centre (MIC) “I Choose Lithuania” provides consultations to Lithuanian migrants who are returning, who are contemplating a return or anyone wishing to come to Lithuania.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Regional office per representatives in Lithuania carries out trainings and disseminates information related to rights of refugees.
- Lithuanian Red Cross Society carries out projects to support asylum seekers and refugees in Lithuania.
- Institutes for Ethnic Studies and Demographic Studies conducts research in the field of migration.
- Caritas Lithuania aims to reduce poverty and social distinct of the most vulnerable groups of society. Caritas Lithuania also provides integration support for asylum seekers and refugees, provides assistance to victims of trafficking.